As of Friday, September 22nd the bulk of Quebec’s Law 25 privacy regime obligations – the highest standard we have ever seen in our country – officially come into effect.
And while a few of the requirements are still a bit murky some are abundantly clear. Here are five things you should be doing today to get yourself ready.
- Understand the new obligations – speak with your Chief Privacy Officer or work with external legal counsel to understand the requirements of this Law and the best path forward for your organization.
- Be more transparent with your consumers – A key component of this legislation is the requirement to provide notice at time of collection. And if you are not already, now is the time to start working with a consent management platform (CMP) to give users the information and control they require before you start collecting their data.
- Keep track of the work you are doing – keep consent records, have formalized internal processes, and use what is available to you so that you can demonstrate that you are doing everything possible to be privacy first.
- Use all the tools available to you – If you are an ad tech vendor or a CMP, you can now register for TCF Canada. And if you are a brand or publisher, look to work with TCF Canada registered providers.
- Join the Conversation – become a part of IAB Canada’s privacy working group and provide your voice to upcoming consultations as the CAI releases new guidance. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note that this is not legal advice. We strongly encourage members to work with internal or external legal counsel.