IAB Canada released its second wave of the Barometer Report measuring the impact of COVID-19 on ad spending according to the buy-side. The report is designed to capture quick snapshots around short to mid-term strategic activity as well as general outlook. We would like to thank our blue ribbon buy-side panel for reviewing our reporting and adding commentary and directional endorsement of the findings.
Topline results this week indicated consistency with our 1st wave findings. This continues to be a “live’ situation with budget reviews taking place daily if not more often.
- 90% say digital media budgets reduced, delayed/paused or rarely canceled (13%)
- Less impacted: 55% in Search; 47% in Audio
- More impacted: 68-78% for all other formats, including programmatic
- Hardest hit also include
- Advertisers: Automotive, Retail and Travel
- Brands without eComm capability
- Canadian Publishers
- Main causes of cutbacks – cash flow concerns and reassessing creative
- Most expect still more reductions and a delay in full recovery till the second half of 2020